MY 3 SONS!


Sunday, December 03, 2006

Boys & Their Toys





So, 3 weeks until Christmas 2006 and I have ALL my shopping done! (Yeah right)?! Actually, Aisling and I avoided the malls and went Internet shopping for everyone with the exception of our boys' gifts. (Come on Steve, get in the Spirit of the season). Well, even I....., being the pro-business, pro-Conservative, pro non-government interference with a guy trying to make a buck....., am a little tired of the over-crowded, over-commercialized "Spirit" of Christmas. (Not to mention I detest shopping for anything other than cool electronic gadgets that I probably can't afford or don't really need).

No, I guess you might even mistaken me for Mr. Scrooge himself; no xmas tree, no xmas lights, not even a Xmas wreath on the front door. But HOLD ON! I have legitimate excuses for this season......and my understanding and ever-loving wife will back me up on it! 1) The boys are too young to understand what all the comotion is about at 19 months, and they'll just be upset with this indoor tree that cuts down on their play-space, or worse becomes a hit-and-run target while on their cars. 2) I am afraid of heights and do not want to venture out to put the lights up via an icy roof, and the white "icicle" lights over the front porch just don't cut it on our street of elaborate displays. And finally, 3) We will not be home as we will be enjoying the fun & sun of Mexico with my parents and sister's family.

All legitimate reasons, except MAYBE for #2 as I am conqueoring my fear of heights by going on a Canopy Tour while in Mexico. (Basically, you're tethered for safety, and fly across the tops of trees in the Mexican forest while hanging on for dear life to a wheel on a cable from juncture to juncture). Those girlish screams on the soon-to-be-released video courtesy of my mother will NOT be me?! Anyway, tonight we realized we will be buying ToyStory and ToyStory 2 dvd's for our boys who were captured by the last half of the latter on CBC. We also plan on buying them their first remote-control model cars. (You get 2 in a box for $39.99, so the fourth will come in handy when they break one of the first 3)!
On a more serious note, we decided, as a family, to buy and donate two hens and a rooster to a needy family via World Vision's new Xmas Catalog. It will mean the world to them, and costs us so little. Our church presented this program to everyone during the services this morning. Rick Scruggs is a joy to listen to. We have met two other families with the "multiple experience". (One with a set of older twins, the other with younger triplets). I even met another Gamble family with a son and daughter.....unfortunately no relation, so we can't ask them to babysit, lol. However, Aisling spoke to an older lady who lives in Coventry that really wants to come to help out as soon as possible. She's here now and we'll let her go home soon......kidding!

Until my next blog, whenever that is, I want our friends to know that we miss them despite the joys and undiscovered as-of-yet joys with our new church family. It was so GREAT to see many of you this past Saturday at Scott & Mel's get-together. We continue to pray and hope for renewal. Have a wonderful Holiday Season!!

Posted by Steve :: 7:38 PM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------