MY 3 SONS!


Sunday, December 10, 2006

Grandpa, Crib Adjustments, and Faith



As some of you may already know, I lost my Grandpa Gamble this week-end. In a nutshell, he pretty much went on his own terms and demands following a stroke a few weeks earlier. It only took him about 2 months to meet up with his wife again; Grandma Gamble passed away on the 8th of October, while he passed on December 8th. He was very blessed to have excellent health all the way until his unfortunate stroke. The picture above is a reminder of his most favorite hobby, roller skating. Not just any old roller skating......in their day, Grandma and Grandpa were competitive dancers on 8 wheels (16 total), and performed various breath-taking stunts and dance moves. I know that they are now partners again after many years hiatis. (Years of it down here on Earth took quite the toll on Grandma's bones). They are probably entertaining the friends they lost years ago, and the friends they have met in their new home. We'll miss them both!


Grandpa's Son (My dad) with his 3 grandsons


The sad event of saying goodbye to my Grandpa spun an intersting perspective on another event that took place today. At first it seemed liked a tedious, plug-your-ears as I attempt not to swear while I get my tools out, necessary, but annoying task. What task you ask? Well, seems the boys are now too tall for the cribs. (During their afternoon nap......or shall we say 2-hour session of talking, laughing and climbing out of the crib, falling under my brother's crib.....Connolly?!.....we decided it was time to lower the platforms). That means the next and final lowering will be due to transforming the cribs into toddler beds. My initial thoughts as I struggled doing this were, "Didn't I just do this a few weeks ago"?! and "I sure hope Connolly doesn't have a concussion".


After realizing it's actually been about 6 months since I last made an adjustment, and that Connolly didn't suffer even a bump, I thought about this miniscual event in a much broader context; STOP GROWING UP SO FAST!! As well as, what will my boys become, will their faith be truly their own, will their faith be stronger than mine, will the church they attend remain strong in the teaching of Christ or just want to be "trendy, accepting and modern-day cool", and finally, will they attend church at all or will that be "no longer necessary"? I also thought about how much I hope and pray they WILL be faithful and make true connections with brothers and sisters, find faithful spouses, and make first-team all-stars with the NHL's defending Stanley Cup champion Calgary Flames............OK, as long as it ain't the Oilers.


Anyway, pretty deep thoughts all from removing 12 screws and drilling them back in 3 inches lower! Good news though; no cuts or bruises on Daddy!

Posted by Steve :: 9:11 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------